More than half of all Americans deal with allergies. For some, these allergies produce a reaction that is nothing more than a mild irritant. For others, these allergies can pose a serious health risk or can even be life-threatening. The following is a list of some of the most dangerous allergies out there and tips on how to treat them.
An especially dangerous food allergy is peanut allergies. Peanut allergies are particularly dangerous because they can happen at any point in an individual’s life. The severe allergic reaction that people have to peanuts often results in them having anaphylaxis, restricted breathing, and cardiac arrest.
One common treatment for peanut allergies is a shot of epinephrine (EpiPen). Individuals dealing with peanut allergies need immediate medical care. Even after receiving medical care, they must be under observation for some time in order to make sure that the symptoms do not return.
Latex is a type of rubber that is made from trees that are found in Africa and in Southeast Asia. Latex is most commonly used in rubber gloves that are used for medical procedures. While the exact reason for latex allergies is not known, the effect that it can have on a person’s health is devastating. At its worst, an individual experiencing latex allergy may feel a rapid heartbeat, pains in their chest, anaphylactic shock, and in extreme cases death.
In cases of mild allergic reaction, a simple antihistamine can be used. In more severe cases, epinephrine and intravenous fluids may be used in conjunction with care from a medical professional.
The most common types of insects that sting people are bees, hornets, or fire ants. Many people are not allergic to these stings, and individuals often confuse a normal reaction to a sting with an allergic reaction. However, for those who are allergic to them, insect stings can be very dangerous. Symptoms can include swelling of the face and mouth, difficulty breathing, increased pulse, shock, and cardiac arrest.
Individuals who are experiencing serious allergic reactions to bee stings will be treated with epinephrine (adrenaline). Additionally, they may be given fluids, oxygen, and others treatments to stabilize their condition. It may be necessary for these individuals to receive medical care and be under medical observation. Individuals who know that they have an allergic reaction to insect bites may wish to contact experts such as Bio Tech Pest Control in order to remove these pests from their home.
For many, the symptoms that come as a result of their allergic reaction to plants are just a mild irritation or a nuisance. However, for some people an allergic reaction to plants can be a very serious and even life-threatening thing. Some of the symptoms of plant allergies include hives, skin irritation, respiratory problems, and skin rashes. Treatments for plant allergies usually include an oral antihistamine and an over-the-counter topical steroid. In severe cases, a visit to the emergency room or a hospital stay may be warranted.
Known as Aquagenic urticaria, this extremely rare type of allergy is also one of the most dangerous. Individuals who deal with water allergies experience hives on their skin and a burning sensation on their skin after being exposed to any type of water. Additionally, individuals fighting with this allergy may experience severe shortness of breath and swelling in their throat after drinking water.
While there is no cure for this infirmity, individuals who are dealing with it can take certain steps such as using Caspian cream, sterile cream, and an antihistamine to help ease the symptoms as well as removing anything that may cause allergic reaction from the home.