Getting in shape is not easy. It is especially hard if you don’t have access to a gym or equipment in your home. A gym membership can be expensive and so can buying equipment. So what do you do? You want to get into great shape but you’re not looking to spend so much money. Well, you’re in luck! There are explosive exercises you can do that will help you lose weight, fire up your metabolism, build muscle and increase your endurance.
The best part of all, these exercises don’t require anything other than yourself, your commitment, and your mental endurance. Below, we’ll lay out six explosive no-equipment exercises that will get you into great shape without needing to open your wallet.
Burpees are the king of killer exercises. You will dread having to do these but you will love the results. This is one of the best full-body workouts you can do to lose weight, build muscle and greatly increase your stamina.
- Start in a stance with your feet shoulder length apart.
- Drop down into a squat position.
- Once in a full squatting position, drop your body into a push up position and then proceed to do a push up.
- After you have a done a push up, get back into the squatting position.
- Once back in squatting position, explode your body up into a full thrust jump.
- After you land, get back into squatting position and repeat the steps.
Try a set of 10-12 burpees. If you can still breathe and your chest is not on fire, do another set.
Planks are a great full-body workout that doesn’t require a single movement. Your abs, shoulders, chest and legs will thank you later for this one.
- Get into a push up position.
- Your elbows should be bent 90 degrees and instead of resting on your hands, you’ll keep the pressure on your forearms.
- Keep your body completely straight.
- Hold this position for as long as you can.
Try to hold this position for a minimum of 30 seconds. You should aim for 1-2 minutes.
Mountain Climbers are a great full body work out. They work your shoulders, your chest, abs and your legs.
- Start in a plank position.
- Move your arms slightly farther apart now that you are in a plank position.
- Bring one knee to your chest.
- Bring that knee and leg back and repeat with your other knee and leg.
- While doing this keep your hips down as much as possible.
You can do this timed (ex: 30 seconds) or you can count each one (ex: 15 mountain climbers).
Truck Jumps are another brutal yet wonderful full body workout that will really get you firing on all cylinders.
- Start in a standing position shoulder length apart. Slightly bend your knees.
- Drop down into a squatting position.
- Once in a full squatting position, explode upwards into a full jump bringing your knees to your chest.
Repeat these steps. Try 10 – 12 of these. Remember to explode as hard as you can.
Plyometric Push Up
Ployometric Push Up’s are a great explosive exercise that will really engage your upper body and your endurance.
- Start in a push up position.
- Lower your body to the floor as you would a standard push up.
- Once you’ve reached the floor, explode your body up bringing your hands off the floor.
If you have any concerns about doing any of the exercises listed, consult a professional. According to the physical therapists at Wright Physical Therapy, doing so can reduce the risk of injury by up to 41%. These explosive exercises can be brutal and are physically and mentally tough, but if you can stick through it and endure, you will take your fitness to another level and get into great shape.