Different experts have different opinions, when fasting as a form of a weight loss program is concerned. Generally speaking, with traditional fasting, you actually, in plain words, stop eating. That way, after a certain amount of time, in order to keep functioning, your body starts using the energy found in fats, by breaking them down into molecules. So, your body is absorbing fats, and this means that you will start losing weight rapidly.
On the one hand, obesity is a bad thing for one’s health and, by fasting, one can change his or her relationship towards food, thus improving the quality of his or her eating habits, and, on the other hand, after fasting, when you eat, your body is more prone to gaining weight. However, there are ways of having a completely healthy and efficient weight loss system that is connected with fasting. Continue reading to see what I mean.
So, to begin, the digestion process itself is very stressful to the body. By fasting you give it the opportunity to rest a bit from this. Also, the eating habits of the majority of people involve the consumption of a very great number of calories that have no nutritious value whatsoever. This is damaging both to the liver and to the kidneys. These organs are used by the body to get rid of all the toxins from the food, and, if they are not functioning well, all the toxins are sent to fats, for the time being. By feasting, you let your body deal with this issue, as well.
The fast should last for, more or less, three days. This is because:
- On the first day of the fast your body uses the glucose that is absorbed from the liver and the muscles. So, it is natural that you lose some of your muscle mass on the first day. Keep in mind that this does not continue on the second day. When all the reserves are used up, the body goes into the process of melting fats, and you start losing weight.
- On the second day (for women), or on the third day (for men), the body goes into a process called Ketosis. At that point, you will stop being hungry and you will feel better.
Just do not prolong the fast to the point of starvation, and make sure that you are drinking a lot of water to keep your body hydrated. If you want to fast for longer than 3 days, you are advised to look for professional medical help throughout the entire time, since it can be very dangerous. Actually, make sure that you consult an expert before going on any sort of fast, no matter how long it is. It is safer that way.
Once your body starts melting fats, you will lose 2kg or 3kg of fat weekly.
However, a complete fast is not a good option. There is no reason why you should subject yourself to stop eating entirely. You should strive to create such a program for losing weight, so that you remain completely healthy at the end of it all. Here are some useful tips on how to do this:
- Count the calories that you put in your organism. Most products provide the information related to the calorie count on the package, so you can check that and try to eat the products that have as less of them as possible.
- Increase your activity, in general. I am not saying that you should do a number of exercises, but you should not be a complete couch potato.
- Make sure that your body is introduced to both proteins and calcium. Without proteins, your muscle mass will deteriorate, and without calcium the body will start taking calcium from the bones, and this is not good, logically.
- Drink a lot of fluids. Dehydration can be a very dangerous, and, in the fasting process, your body really needs water.
However, some people want to build up muscle mass in the process of losing weight. If you are one of these people, than fasting is not your desired solution, since, in some cases, it can lead to a very great decrease in muscle mass.
So, there are reasons why and why not to choose fasting as a way of losing weight. Keep in mind that the toxins stored in the fat (mentioned above) are bad for you and you have to get rid of them eventually. This is why some people actually feel sick during the process of weight loss, but you should be aware that this is a good sign, since this means that your body is fighting to beat these toxins, and it will in time.
The fact of the matter is that after the fasting process is over you will be left with a healthier digestive system. It may “work” a bit slower for some time, but it will inevitably recover. Since almost everything that is considered to be good health is related to the quality of the digestive system, it is logical to conclude that watching out how much and what you eat can be extremely beneficial to your overall health.
In order to ensure that you remain completely healthy after the fast, you can try and organize the three days of it like this:
- On the first day don’t eat meat and dairy products.
- On the second day, add, for example, beans, grains and nuts to the list of exceptions.
- On the final day, just eat things like soups, salads, and some fruits.
- After that, gradually start adding heavier foods in your meals.
- Drink a lot of water all the time.
To conclude, I will say that it is highly inadvisable to fast in the traditional sense, but rather sporadically reduce your calorie concentration.
You will end up with a healthier body, and you will lose weight easily. When you get the hang of it, you will realize that you are thinner, and it, actually, wasn’t all that difficult.